Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The White Mountains

I just got back from hiking in the White Mountains!! Although it was an amazing 4 days, I'm really happy to finally get the chance to take a shower! Because it's the day before the day before I leave for Japan I probably should be getting something done... but instead I'm going to show you my hiking photos. :D

The first day we hiked to Mizpah Hut. Because the hike was in the woods, there weren't many spectacular views. But we did see a few waterfalls, several baby frogs, and a variety of mushrooms.





The next day we hiked along the ridge and passed Mt. Pierce, Mt. Franklin, and Mt. Monroe. The forecast called for rain, but we got to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut just before it started to rain!








Left to right: An unnamed peak, Mt. Washington, Mt. Monroe
Mt. Washington is hardly ever out of the clouds!
Lakes of the Clouds Hut (and the lakes its named after)
On the third day we hiked from Lakes of the Clouds Hut to Madison Hut. There was a thunderstorm warning, so we left at 6:30 am in an attempt to get to Madison before the rain (especially because getting caught in a thunderstorm on the side of Mt. Washington ). But to our surprise it barely rained! For the most part it was pretty foggy, but every once in a while the clouds cleared. Unfortunately because of the weather we missed hiking the peaks between Lakes and Madison, but we made it to Madison before the storm did.
The view from the side of Mt. Washington at 6:30 am
Although sometimes the trail looked like this...
...most of the trail looked like this.
When I woke up this morning I looked out the window to see a moose! Ah, it made me miss Canada (where all moose are from originally, of course). XD

Apparently her name is Lola.
Then my camera battery died, so no photos of the last day.  Because we were worried about the weather we took the quickest route down Madison, but it really only started to rain until after we got back to the car! 

Lola munches on some bushes near the trail



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww glad you had a good trip!

Joe said...

Ahhh! I'm so jealous. I love mountains and it's awesome you got to see a moose.

I can't believe you're leaving tomorrow! Have fun and be safe :)

Post a Comment