Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kodaira

The day before yesterday I was really bored so I decided to walk around Kodaira. There wasn't much to see (and I got lost) but at least I got some photos!

Nearly everyone rides bikes
Even the manhole covers are pretty!
I wonder what kind of tree this is?



Also, in preparation for Respect for the Aged Day and higan, my host mother and I made ohagi.

Ohagi is made from mochi mixed with rice. However different types of ohagi have different things on them. 
Smooth red bean ohagi/ こしおはぎ
Chunky red bean ohagi/ つぶおはぎ
Although we had two types of ohagi with red bean paste, one is more blended and the other is chunkier (like smooth peanut butter vs. crunchy peanut butter). Ohagi with smoother red bean bean paste is called koshi ohagi, and the chunkier ohagi is called tsubu ohagi. (Yeah, I know chunky is a weird way of describing it, but I can't think of a better word.)


Sesame ohagi/ がまおはぎ

The sesame ohagi was made with ground sesame seeds, soy sauce, and sake.

Tofu sushi/ いなり寿司
We also made inari sushi, which consists of fried tofu and rice!

I'm sorry about the sudden rush of posts! But at least now I'm only... two days behind. >__<

2 comments:

Keeble said...

You should learn how to make all the food you're finding! At this point I feel like you're there on a culinary exchange instead of a university one :P

Anonymous said...

Yum...I have some red beans in my cupboard that I was not sure what to do with, maybe I will try making ohagi!

Post a Comment